Foreign Currency Transactions and Tax Compliance: A Primer

International money transfers are commonplace in today’s global economy. Whether you’re a business owner, an employee receiving a salary from abroad, or a first-time taxpayer, it’s important to be aware of the tax consequences associated with various financial dealings. This article will break down the Ministry of Planning and Finance’s (MPF) Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for checking tax payments before making international wire transfers.

Where and When Does This Apply?

If the amount you wish to send abroad is greater than US$10,000 (or its equivalent), you must follow the SOP.

Second, Banks’ Importance

Compliance with tax laws relies heavily on banks authorized to deal in foreign currencies. They have to check if taxes have been deducted from money sent overseas. This requires vetting certain documents that demonstrate tax compliance or exemption.

A Few Important Forms

The “PaTaKha Waga-8” and SAS-1 variants are two of the most common ones discussed. These documents need only be submitted once per fiscal year, even if you make multiple profit transfers or purchases. It is sufficient to submit only once every fiscal year.

Fourthly, Paycheck Distributions

Check the Certificate of Withholding of Salary Income Tax if you’re transferring salary income. This guarantees that your salary has had the correct amount of tax withheld before the transfer.

Other Compensations

The appropriate tax authorities must be consulted in order to authenticate documentation of interest, license trademark money, copyright payment, and service fee payment. This verifies that income tax has been withheld and paid in full, or that no income tax is owed.

Incoming Taxpayers, Number Six

If you’re a brand new taxpayer, you should verify your Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) via the Department of Internal Revenue’s “PaTaKha Waga-01-02” form. This is true whether your company began operations in the current fiscal year, the previous fiscal year, or both.

Seventh, Be Accountable

When making an international transfer of funds, you must provide the foreign currency trading (AD) regulated banks with the necessary documentation in accordance with the type of transfer being made.

Want Some Assistance?

The Inland Revenue Service is available to assist you. When it comes to tax verification procedures for money sent overseas, they can clear up any confusion that arises for banks with a license to engage in foreign currency trading (AD) and those who will transfer foreign currency.

In conclusion, it is possible to simplify the process of understanding the tax implications of foreign currency transfers with the correct knowledge and advice. If you want to avoid problems in the future, you should always follow tax requirements.

more insights

In Memory of U Win Thin

With deep sadness, we announce the passing of U Win Thin, the founder and chairman of Win Thin & Associates. He passed away peacefully on

Read more >


AUDIT ASSOCIATE (3) PostDescription Win Thin & Associates (WTA), Certified Public Accountants, is one of the largest professional service firms of over 58 years’ standing

Read more >